Betting on horse racing can be a good way to make money if you know how. In this post we will teach you the different types of bets and strategies to bet on horses. So, keep reading and learn all the tricks to become a real expert of turf (horse racing).
Before we start, it must be said that winning in horse racing is not easy, but we must bear in mind that surprises in this sport are common. In other words, you rarely win, but when you win, you can get a huge prize. There is a lot of information about horse racing, the difficult thing is to know how to interpret it and not be guided by clichés.
Types of horse bets
If you’re a beginner at betting on horses, first of all you’ll need to know what kind of bets there are:
- Winner: you choose the winning horse and if he finishes first you win the bet.
- Placed: depending on the number of participants, you win the bet if the horse chosen finishes first, second or third.
- Twin: in this case your bet is a winner if you choose correctly the horses that arrive in first and second position. Depending on the race, you will also have to guess the order of arrival or not.
- Placed Twin: you bet on two horses, if they finish in the first three places, you win the bet.
- Non-reversible Trio: you win the bet if you choose the correct order of the horses that finish in first, second, and third place.
- Reversible trio: this is practically the same as the non-reversible trio, but the order of finish does not matter.
- Non-reversible quartet: you choose correctly the horses that finish first, second, third and fourth, in the exact order.
- Reversible quartet: it is exactly the same as the non-reversible quartet, but regardless of the order of arrival.
- Double: it is based on choosing correctly the winning horses of two different races.
Strategies for betting on the basis of horses
These are the key to make bets on horse racing with criteria:
- Inform yourself properly: logically, the more you specialize in a subject, the better you understand it and, in this case, the better your bets will be. That’s why it’s so important to get a good understanding of how horse racing works before you bet. It’s not a sport like football or basketball, which everyone understands, turf is different.
- Analyze the races before you bet: consulting blogs or specialized pages on the subject can help you get in the mood. Not all races are the same. Everything counts. The surface, the weather, the horse, the rider… There are many factors to study and take into account when betting on horses. Remember, if you bet without any criteria you will most likely end up losing.
- English is important: or at least know the typical expressions used in the turf.
- It’s the little things that count: Pay close attention to the little details. This is the main difference between an expert and a beginner gambler. For example, the street draw. Some streets are faster than others, and this does not benefit the favorite. Also, when there is more than one horse candidate to win, they can step on each other and favor third parties.
- Specialize in one type of racing: it is impossible to master everything. If you go deeper into one type of racing, you will find that you know more about the small details.
English expressions that will help you in your bets
As we have said before, English can help you to better understand the world of racing:
- Forecast: it means to guess the first and second horse to finish the race.
- Handicap: these are bets in which some runner starts with an advantage in relation to the rest.
- Stake: is the amount you bet on the selected market.
- Odds: is the potential gain offered by the bookmakers. That is, the odds.
- Form: the performance that a horse and his rider have shown in the last races.